The Prison of Resentment



The Prison of Resentment

Scripture verse: Psalm 73:21–22
Additional Scripture Readings: Matthew 6:14; 2 Timothy 2:24

Resentment puts us in prison. Like a ball and chain, it holds us back from experiencing the positive emotions of joy and peace. Are you imprisoned by resentment? I know there have been times in my life when I have been. When I let the pain, betrayal, and emotions of being abandoned and mistreated in life by those I love, who are suppose to love me, and I have let my heart become overrun by bitterness and resentment.

Resentment is an inevitable result of being damaged and wounded by the words or actions of another. We will feel it. To try to squelch the pain that comes when we’ve been hurt is to deny our human ability to feel.

But we don’t have to make resentment our permanent home. When we choose to live, day in and day out, within the confines of resentment, we imprison ourselves, trapped in bitterness, incarcerated in a grudge. When our energy is poured into these negative emotions, we are barred from experiencing life-giving emotions like forgiveness, love and hope.

We can’t choose whether or not we will be hurt. The mistakes of others are out of our control. But we can determine how we will respond to the pain that comes by the hand of another. Release resentment. In so doing, we set our hearts free.

Mom, you don't have to go it alone! The Mom's Devotional Bible is a trusted source of wisdom to help you along the path of mothering. Is there a resentment you have been holding onto? I pray with you today that you can let it go, give it to God and live a life worthy of the calling you have received!

Today's reading is from the
Mom's Devotional Bible
by Zondervan

Comments